This is a special project. I will be building a Gibson SG with my son who has started playing guitar this past year and has shown a true interest in learning the instrument. He loves the look and feel of the SG so his 1st guitar will be exactly that. He’s played a few guitars and he knows what he wants.
The specs are very specific and are based on a ’65 Gibson SG with some tweaks to bring it to his taste. He came up with this:
- Maple/Wenge/Maple/Wenge/Maple neck shaft, 13 deg headstock angle.
- Wenge fretboard, bound with thin maple strip and wenge (like on the lacewood Jem in my portfolio)
- Block MOP inlays
- MOP side dot inlays
- Stainless Steel frets
- Soft C carve
- TonePros*Kluson TPK33 nickel tuners (See here)
- Honduran Mahogany
- Full face ’65 SG style batwing pickguard
- Cherry Red color
- TonePros AVR2G-N. This is the vintage ABR-1 style bridge but with nylon sadlles with a nickel finish, which is what you’d find on a ’65 SG (See here)
- Gibson Classic 57 Neck Pickup with nickel cover
- Gibson Classic 57 Plus Bridge Pickup with nickel cover
- 3-way switchcraft toggle switch with cream tip and cover
- Black top hat with chrome cover vol/tone knobs
Next up will be the neck, pickup and bridge placement plan.